Mixed Masala

The masala is an essential spice in Indian cuisine.Mixed w/other flavors,it creates that extra zing in one's palette that awakens your senses&allows you to stop,savor&remember the moment.That moment becomes a memory which tells a story,like a recipe carried on through generations.Sometimes fresh mixtures are added giving birth to culinary masterpieces that hold stories w/in herstories,cultures w/in multicultures&new lines w/in ancestries.Mixed Masala is the unique blend of all these&much more.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mama & Her Wheelchair



You know that moment when you realize that you're entering a new phase in your life, that you really are getting older and the world is catching up with you? It was one of those moments for me this past month as I gave my grandma a wheelchair for Mother's day. It was a pretty, light and modern one and finding it was such a treasure--a sister-friend sold it to me and when I saw it, I knew she'd love it.

But the mere thought of buying her a wheelchair one day never occured to me or canvassing for the best one that would fit my budget through friends who've recently been in the same boat.

It's basically a milestone for two reasons: 1) Like my Uncle Bobby said, it's a blessing that Mama is still around now that she's almost 80--and I couldn't agree more--yes, she's got her illnesses but her mind is still as lucid and as sharp as ever... amazing! 2) It's an accomplishment for me to give my dear Mama Rosie that wheelchair, it's proof that God has sustained and blessed me so that I can share what I have with those I love and they can enjoy it...a sign that He will continue to fulfill His promises to all of us.

I'm really growing up fast now.... :)